Safe Surface Science is a group of researchers based at or collaborating at the the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine working on the science and promotion of maintaining the safety of surfaces in homes, healthcare facilities, and other spaces. This webpage provides links to simple videos about safe surface disinfection and a helpful infographic.
Fomite transmission and disinfection strategies for SARS-CoV-2 and related viruses. This review aims to summarize the current knowledge and underlying physicochemical processes of virus transmission, in particular via fomites, and common disinfection approaches. Gaps in knowledge and needs for further research are also identified.
Cleaning, laundry and hygiene tips for households are also provided by UNICEF here.
Want to know more?
- How do diseases transmit via surfaces?
- What does “detection” mean when discussing viruses in the environment?
- How can surfaces get contaminated with SARS-CoV-2?
- How long does SARS-CoV-2 survive on surfaces?
- To what extent can SARS-CoV-2 be transferred between surfaces and hands?
- What type of surface cleaning and disinfection should we promote for homes and workspaces?
- How resistant is SARS-CoV-2 to disinfection?
- How can we maintain cleanliness of public water pump handles?